- DO: Dress it up! Solid-colored, crisp denim can always be paired with a more formal top and accessories to make your jeans more versatile than you could have imagined.
- DON’T: Fear color! It’s okay to get colorful with your denim. White and blue are not the only denim colors on earth—pastel denims are super trendy (and surprisingly versatile) this summer!
- DO: Keep it tasteful! If you like to pair denim with denim, do it tastefully. Try to use different patterns, shades, or colors to make it more fashion forward rather than looking like you just stepped out of the ‘90s.
Have you ever had one of those mornings when your hair just isn’t cooperating? Tempted to chop it off or hide it in a big hair wrap? Every once in a while I find myself struggling to tame the mane, but I found a solution that is easy enough for meeting a friend for coffee and chic enough for the office: the low bun. Now it does depend on your hair length and texture, but medium-length ladies are in luck with this look. Adding a little twist or pretty pin is a sophisticated touch. It just takes a hair band and bobby pins to ensure security and there you have it!
With Beyoncé’s teaser of the upcoming 50 Shades of Grey trailer (released July 22nd) and the announcement of the movie’s release on February 13th, 2015, the buzz for the hot and steamy romance is growing. If you’ve read the trilogy, you know that Anastasia Steele’s wardrobe gets a major upgrade (classy and drool-worthy) in the last two books, but the two looks from the first book that the delectable Christian Grey likes best on Ana are the plum sheath dress from their second date and the gray halter dress worn for her graduation.
The plum dress was, in Ana’s words, “demure and vaguely businesslike.” Steal this look from Ana for your next date dress—go for something close-fitting and simple to let your personality shine through!
Of the two dresses, this one strikes me as a bit classier. Again, this dress is simple and allows the wearer, rather than the dress, to shine. Give a nod to Ana next time you’re looking for some outfit inspiration!
As summer continues with pool parties and beach days, we live in bathing suits and cover-ups during most of our free time, soaking in the rays. Every once in a while, it is so nice to go out and do something that requires more than a uniform of tiny triangle tops and string bottoms. Such an occasion calls for a pretty dress that makes any woman feel like a lady again: the summer sundress. Pairing it with a big floppy hat and sandals makes for an effortless, flouncy look. It is perfection for strolling around the farmers market or catching a breezy beach sunset. Find your perfect fit and pattern, then twirl away!
Summertime is in full swing, so here are a few beauty tips from your fashion-forward friends:
- Tans are fun, but skin cancer isn’t. Put on sunscreen even if you’re only planning on being outside for ten minutes. It’ll keep your skin healthy and soft, plus you will still get some color without the risk.
- Protect your face! Some of our most sensitive skin is on our face, so keep it covered. Floppy hats are big this summer season (literally). Sunglasses, baseball caps, and some facial moisturizer that has a great SPF will do wonders for keeping your skin healthy.
- Avoid tight clothing. How comfortable are you while sweating in those tight shorts? Linen, cotton, and chiffon are all great, airy options that will allow your body to breathe and avoid any skin irritation or chafing on those sweaty days.
- Stay hydrated! Water is a beauty must no matter what time of the year, but is even more crucial during the summer months. Drink water throughout the day, even if you don’t feel thirsty. Most times when our body starts “feeling” thirsty, we are already suffering from slight dehydration!
We all scream for ice cream… and cute clothes, right? There’s nothing like a chilled cone to cool down on a hot day. Why not mix a favorite summertime treat with warmer weather attire? Check out some of these sweet patterned pieces.
If wearing the print on clothing isn’t your thing, what an inspiration ice cream can be for a pop of color on the fingernails! The cosmetic aisle always showcases brilliant colors that are so fun for a summer manicure. This time of year begs for bright hues to be worn and is appropriate for any outfit!
Jeans will never go out of style, but it has come to my attention that, while the boyfriend jean trend is hot, hot, hot!, more than a few are unsure how to shop for the right pair. Remember that making something look good on you is simply a matter of illusion and creating the desired shape.
Just because you’re short doesn’t mean you can’t rock boyfriend jeans! You can – just opt for a baggier, rather than fitted, pair. The extra fabric will give the idea that there’s more to your cute figure than what meets the eye.
For those women working curvy hips and thighs, grab a pair that loves those curves. Of course, forego the skin-tight options, as it defeats the whole concept of “boyfriend jeans.” Make sure the pair you get tapers right below your knee and that you add extra volume on top – be it a blouse with ruffles, a patterned shirt that draws the eye up, or even simply a couple of layers.
An athletic body shape is perfect for rocking boyfriend jeans. Just be mindful of what you wear on top. It’s best to avoid boxy tops and opt for thinner straps and asymmetrical cuts instead.
4. Inverted Triangle
With killer legs and a heavier upper body, believe it or not, you want to add the illusion of “more” to your lower half. Go loose, loud and proud. Crazy embellished, shredded – anything that draws attention to your lower half while you don a cowl neck or a deep v-neck on top.
Do I really need to give you advice? You have the figure everyone tries to replicate! Holes, shreds, acid wash – go for anything and everything!
The nautical trend has always been a preppy fashion staple every summer. In recent years, it seems we are seeing double the amount of nautical themed attire, from anchors to seagulls and, of course, the indispensable footwear in every preppy girl’s closet: Sperrys.
Sperrys are comfortably cute boating shoes with universal appeal for men, women, and children in numerous styles and sizes. Their varied styles go with just about any look and add the sea-faring charm of a coastal wanderer to any of your outfit choices.
Bright lipstick is perfect to be enjoyed in the summer season, while dark colors or pale pinks are best left for the winter months. It is a fun way to switch up the regular makeup routine and try something new. Whether you want to invest in a cheap drugstore find or a brand name lipstick is up to you. Matched with a bold eye, this is your new look for a night out. For a more simple, everyday makeup, brush on some bronzer, swipe on a layer or two of mascara and rock it!
Lace is no longer solely for the Victorian era or your grandmother’s drapes! The lace look is back with a stronger force than ever. Cover ups, bathing suits, tops, and even shawls are available in different lace and crocheted designs that are both affordable and fashionable. Style yourself in one of this summer’s hottest chic trends and try on some lace for size!